- Pathfinder

Reply To: Are there elements of ancient and/or modern Near Eastern Christianity that are present in your own church/faith life? If so, what are they? If not, would you be open to implementing any?

Patrick Bereit
Participant

As a Roman Catholic, I find myself having multiple similarities with elements of Near Eastern Christianity. The course was very interesting and I noted that some of the general elements described of Western Christianity seemed to apply more to Protestantism. One element very important in my Faith tradition is using beautiful artwork at a window to guide in prayer. I love gazing at the beauty of church architecture and paintings and sculptures of the saints as a means of enhancing prayer. As a regular altar server during the Catholic Mass, we use incense (not ad often as our Eastern brothers) and other means of using our God-given senses to elevate the worship experience. Relics also play a large role in my Faith, but I would like to increase my devotion to this element. I have always found the element of monasticism as very beautiful and so influential in shaping both Eastern and Western traditions. My sister is a Dominican Religious Sister so it was always a gift to visit the convent and witness the communal life of Faith of consecrated women. I would like to implement more of these aspects, such as asceticism and communal prayer.