- Pathfinder

Reply To: Did any of the similarities or differences between Christian and Jewish theology surprise you? If so, which/why?

Harvest Prude
Participant

I think I was most surprised by the emphasis that is placed not on salvation and the afterlife/going to Heaven but for seeking to live a holy life and please God while on earth. It was interesting to learn more about how even the Jewish and Christian concepts of how to live in this present age and how to think of the age to come vary widely as well. I also wonder if the harsh response some Christians had towards the church’s Jewish roots (that led to supersessionism and even sadly antisemitism) has led the church to throw the baby out with the bathwater in some respects. I wonder what aspects of Judaism that the church has lost sight of might be helpful to learn more about and seek to emphasize within Christianity. Lastly, I think the most fundamental difference Christians focus on—or that I knew about growing up—was that the Judaism doesn’t accept Jesus Christ as the Messiah. But on that note, I also found it extremely interesting and surprising that certain strains of Judaism that are more progressive do not believe the Messiah will be a person at all, but rather an age to come.