- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

Patrick Bereit
Participant

As a students studying Global Affairs and Arabic at GMU, I have been told that I cannot support Israel and Palestine at the same time. I have many friends from the Middle East who have grown up and been taught to hold strong views of dislike of Israel. I have been told I cannot support Israel since it is an apartheid state oppressing the Palestinians, something they characterize as inherently evil. Furthermore, Arab Christian friends have told me I cannot support Israel as a Christian, since Israel has persecuted Palestinian Christian communities. It is a complex and difficult issue and my first response is we can’t describe everything as clearly black and white. Issues are often far more nuanced than some activists’ slogans would make it seem. This course has shown me that learning the history behind such conflict is vital, as well as having a zoomed-out perspective. This must be considered in retrospect to surrounding conflict in the region.