- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

Olivia Layne
Participant

Growing up, I was taught that God had broken his covenant with the Jewish people and that the Jewish people had been replaced by the church. This was very confusing to me, but it was one of those subjects that I just trusted the adults with. Then, as I got older and went to a school that taught rigorous bible classes, I learned that the notion that God had broken his covenant was incorrect. This, of course, was so reassuring. How can we believe that Jesus’s blood is a promise of our salvation if we believe that he neglects His covenant with the Jewish people? It truly enhances my reading of Scripture to know that the Lord is faithful to all of his promises and that none of them will be broken. It changes the way I read Scripture, and also my view of God becomes more correct.