- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

Max Prowant
Participant

I grew up in the Roman Catholic Church. Far greater emphasis was placed on the New Testament rather than the Old. But in the liturgy and homilies, our priest often referenced the Old Testament. I was taught in Sunday school precisely what Dr. McDermott lectured: Jesus fulfilled the old law, he did not do away with it. Still, there was a certain implication that the character of this fulfillment was somewhat transformative. As my priest liked to joke, we can eat pork and crabs now. These lectures were helpful in reviving the importance of the Old Testament. I think I will more seriously study the old law and read fathers who do see Christ as a breaking point with the Jewish tradition. It remains unclear what we are to do with the Old Testament laws. Are we to behold them with a certain renewed respect? Or are we to behave like orthodox members of the Jewish faith?