- Pathfinder

Reply To: What are 3 tangible ways that you can personally improve your relationships with Christians from other traditions?

Collin Bastian
Participant

As a Protestant-turned-Roman Catholic, I am familiar with the importance of ecumenical dialogue across denominations. I think applying three principles would help to further along inter-Christian relationships. The first thing to do is to learn the theological, liturgical, geographical, and historical contours which define each Christian denomination. Because I know the least about denominations outside of Roman Catholicism, Protestantism, and Eastern Orthodoxy, this course served as a good example of beginning a future dialogue with Christians of the Near East outside of those traditions. The second thing to do is to sympathize with these other traditions by seeing history through their own eyes. I have found this to be especially important with regards to understanding Eastern Orthodoxy: how did it develop after the split? Why might they view various global conflicts differently? And finally, the third and most important principle is to honor and respect the interlocutor. They have human dignity and their thoughts deserve respect.