- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

Collin Bastian
Participant

Hi Dominic,

It is indeed a great thing that the Catholic Church has come around to seeing more fully the relationship which God still maintains with the Jewish people, and that this relationship is indicative of the continuing relevance of the Old Covenant. But I like what you said: as Catholics, we should believe in the Church and in the promises of the New Covenant. While the Old Covenant is still in effect, we should not deny that the message of Jesus and of the Church is for everyone. It is good that the violent anti-Semitism of the older Church is gone, but I fear that in refusing to evangelize the Jewish people for Christianity (which I fear many will take to be the implication of the lesson that the Old Covenant is still in place) that we will instantiate anti-Semitism by hoarding the good news from them.