- Pathfinder

Reply To: Analyze one of the supplementary Bible passages in light of the course content. Do you see evidence of the Hebraic map? Did anything about the passage surprise you? Was there any part of the passage that stuck out to you in particular?

Gia Chacon
Participant

While reading the Book of James in light of the course content, one almost immediately notices that the author writes to those in exile or “the twelve tribes dispersed abroad.” As I read James, I feel the question of “what to do in the meantime” was answered for us. We learned through this course that the first “action item” not just as a Hebraic Leader but as a Christian is to seek the Kingdom of God.

An integral part of “seeking the Kingdom” is living out our faith every minute of every day. “What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but does not have works? Can such faith save him?” We read in James 2:14 that the proof of our faith in God is the good work we do for the Kingdom.

A Hebraic leader, then, would not just be a “hearer” of the word of God but a doer of the word:
Bearing trials with joy.
Speaking out against injustices.
Keeping oneself consecrated to the Lord.
Being humble.
Taking action to take care of those in need around them
— to name a few examples given to us in the Book of James.

One verse in particular that stood out to me was James 4:4, “You adulterous people! Don’t you know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? So whoever wants to be the friend of the world becomes the enemy of God.” This verse speaks to the Christian in exile to remind us that God’s Kingdom is not of this world. The Hebraic leader will face trials and opposition because the Christian life contradicts how the world instructs us to live.

We can use the Book of James as a blueprint of “what to do in the meantime” as we eagerly await the Kingdom that is to come.