- Pathfinder

Reply To: After taking this course, in your own words, please define Hebraic leadership and what it means to you.

Joseph Danaher
Participant

To me, Hebraic leadership means living the call found in oneself as Imago Dei in the way the Bible meant it to be lived, as opposed to the cultural notions we’re told to live by, be they utilitarian, Machiavellian, etc. Prof. Nicholson spoke of how core to this understanding is that the Hebraic leader leads in time rather than place. Having studied philosophy, I’ve always found time to be the most difficult question, profound but obscure. A philosophy of history in particular is even more enigmatic when good and diabolical nonsense when bad. To me, this helped reemphasize the need to “set [my] heart on things eternal.” It’s easy to get caught up in the everyday, but we need to be pulled out of it, but not for some sense of one’s personal legacy, but for the servant character of Christ, to be there for the Other to shine a light to them, to help each other toward the eternal kingdom. For me, this means being more cognizant of my roles in life, whether they be work or family or friendships or all other encounters, to walk alongside others not with a short fuse or even simply indifference, but to be always looking out for my neighbor the way the Good Samaritan did. I need to not let little things upset me or difficulties deter me but to seize the day, not in the Caesarian sense of making a name for myself, but in the Christian sense of the true end of all things, union with God. In a secular sense, being a little speck of dust in the vast expanse of time and space makes nihilism seem like a sensible perspective, but in the Christian sense, I can see that I am meant for this time, this place, this situation, that issue, that Other person. I think also of the perspective of time being more about the Event in non-Western cultures rather than some domination of nature for the legacy of one’s nation or self. This is key. This must guide me day by day.