- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

Collin Bastian
Participant

While I have never been directly told that my support for the Israeli state precludes my support for Palestine or for its people, I think the culture certainly supposed this. This was perhaps especially true in the political culture, where, sadly, support for Israel and support for Palestine seems to have taken on a semi-partisan character. Indeed, I have noticed that support for Israel tends to be associated with American conservatism and support for Palestine with American progressivism. Of course, these are not determinative associations (there are conservatives who do not support Israel, just as there are leftists who do), but the mere fact of the binary has led many to assume that those who tend to emphasize support for one side in the conflict do not care about the other side. But this is not true – in affirming that the state of Israel should exist, I am hardly saying that the Palestinians do not deserve the right to self-determination or security.