- Pathfinder

Reply To: What is one tangible way that you plan to exhibit Hebraic leadership in your own neighborhood after taking this course?

Steve Allen
Participant

While reviewing the materials and listening to the lectures, I was moved to thoughtfulness regarding arenas, like “my neighborhood, wherein I observe people of differing worldviews, political persuasions, and societal positions, struggling to live and work with civility towards one another. I had never thought of the Hebraic “map” as one which abides plurality–and which even affirms personality. My “neighborhood” arenas–both literally and figuratively speaking–include the following: (1) my physical neighborhood, which is a diverse ex-urban community where racism and anti-semitic expressions recur periodically; (2) my denominational context, in which a past history of racism and politicized racial theory, causes churches “of color” to sometimes forgo their affiliation, because they feel as though they are unwelcome or misunderstood; (3) my church, which struggles at times to know how–and to what extent–women should be affirmed in the practice of ministry; (4) a local clergy network, in which an incredibly broad array of worldviews come together around common-grace matters in our community, to express concern for the dispossessed and victimized, and to express a common voice of opposition for injustice. While I cannot say that I have a well-defined plan for exhibiting Hebraic leadership within any one of these arenas, I do wish to speak credibly, informedly, and courageously into these arenas. I feel as though Pathfinder may be opening a door for me to lead and speak in such a way that affirms differences and which demonstrates more openness around collaboration in light of Kingdom objectives.