- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

Hans Vogel
Participant

Hi Yasmin.
Thank you for your testimony. I think it’s great how you experienced cultural diversity. It is good and a great opportunity that the university offers openness to exchange and to experience ethical, cultural, and religious diversity. Is the exchange deliberately promoted by the professors, or is it left to the students? I find it very valuable to be a bridge-builder and a peacemaker
I remember one positive and one negative influence in Israel’s recent history: There were indeed Arabs who accepted the Jews. Emir Faisal fought with his Arab soldiers along with the Jews, on the British side, against the Ottomans in WWI. He was promised an Arab state, promises that the western powers didn’t keep… During WWII, Nazi influence was very strong among some Palestinian Arabs, and this influence is still very strong in the Arab world.