- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

Taylor Roth
Participant

Hi everyone,

I enjoyed taking this course with you all and am looking forward to engaging more with your posts! From my personal experience, I was never told that supporting Israel prevented me from supporting Palestinians until I became involved in the pro-Israel space at the University of Florida. Growing up, I always understood that it was important to support Israel, not at the expense of the Palestinian people, but at times without fully regarding the Palestinians and their unique struggles and undeniable right to their own self determination. When I attended college, I started a Christians United for Israel chapter on my campus, where I hosted a Holocaust survivor to speak out against rising antisemitism and the threats this evil poses. Although this event was extremely well received on my campus, the more I advocated for Israel, the greater the pushback I received. For instance, one event my chapter hosted was to raise funds for Save A Child’s Heart, a nonprofit that provides life-saving heart surgery to children across the Middle East. Unfortunately, members of certain student groups on campus claimed that our advocacy demonstrated that we favored Israelis over Palestinians. After taking this course, I would state that it is crucial to show compassion and inclusion for the concerns of both Israelis and Palestinians while listening directly to individuals from both sides of the conflict.

Best,
Taylor