- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

Taylor Roth
Participant

Hi Ashley,

I enjoyed taking the time to read your post! I believe you did an excellent job highlighting why it is so critical to be careful before accepting such statements. After all, the Middle East is incredibly complex, and it is dangerous to support any narrative that promotes such extremes. I personally, especially in Christian circles, have felt compelled to support Israel, not necessarily at the expense of supporting Palestinians, but more so without taking the time to consider the Palestinian people and the struggles they undoubtedly face. However, when I went to college, I felt like it was far more controversial to support Israel, where standing with the Jewish state was seen by many as rejecting the rights of the Palestinian people to their own self determination. I think this demonstrates why it is crucial to be careful about accepting certain stances without engaging from those directly connected to the conflict.

Best,
Taylor