- Pathfinder

Reply To: How can you work to combat antisemitism and supersessionism in your own Christian community?

Cristina Varela
Participant

Prior to this course, I had almost no knowledge of the Jewish community outside of International Relations courses in school. I know in my denomination, many still blame the Jews for the death of Christ rather than acknowledging that every single sin we commit drives a nail into the cross. I would not call it anti-semitism but you could probably align it closely with replacement theology.

Specifically in regards to my faith community, I can point others to Nostra Aetate, an encyclical by Pope Paul VI which focuses upon our relationships with the Jews. It played a huge impact on now St. JP II’s views on Catholic-Jew relations- the belief that God’s covenant with the Jews was never revoked.

Practically, I think pointing others in my community to the teachings of those with authority will grant a deeper reading into the Old Testament (that we have in common with the Jews) to better inform our understandings of our New Testament.