- Pathfinder

Reply To: How can you work to combat antisemitism and supersessionism in your own Christian community?

Mary Schulten
Participant

It all starts with education. Often times, I’ve found that my fellow Christians aren’t educated on antisemitism and therefore cannot identify it when incidents occur.

I work professionally in the Israel field, and one of the things that I do is give presentations on antisemitism, antizionism, and criticism of Israel to Christian schools, groups, and churches. Most of the time I give this presentation, the audience members are surprised by how deep the roots of antisemitism are. I hear a lot of “I had no idea”, and I can completely relate to that! Before I became involved in the pro-Israel world, I had no idea that antisemitism is still such a huge problem. I didn’t see it, so I didn’t know it was there. Now that I’ve learned, I know how to identify antisemitism wherever it occurs, and I can have a conversation as to why it is an issue. I think that educating our friends and family on the roots of antisemitism is important. From there, you can help them to see why certain jokes aren’t ok, or why comparing other groups to Nazis is not ok. Words carry weight, and we must help people to see that.