- Pathfinder

Reply To: How can you work to combat antisemitism and supersessionism in your own Christian community?

Hans Vogel
Participant

I think the tragedy is that most of the time we talk about the Jews, but not with them. (Unfortunately, in my European countries – Switzerland and Portugal – there are very few Jews and it is not easy to have personal contact with them.) But we host young Israeli Travelers and very good discussions took place. We also had valuable exchanges with Jews on our trips in Israel. 
I studied Theology and History of Christianity, but unfortunately contemporary Israel and the Jews were left out in the teaching. Dispensationalism rules in many churches here in Portugal, but proclaiming to the Jews that they will have to suffer for 1000years is really not the message they need to hear.
As Christians, we must leave behind our spiritual superiority and dualism and recognize the people of Israel as the older brother. As younger brothers, it is not our place to judge, condemn and reject the older ones. To speak in the language of the parable of Jesus and the two brothers, this authority only belongs to the Father.