- Pathfinder

Reply To: What are 3 tangible ways that you can personally improve your relationships with Christians from other traditions?

Tina Joji
Participant

Three ways I plan on improving my relationship with Christians from other traditions or denominations are to 1) Ask questions 2) Attend or Participate 3) Agree on Common Ground. Asking questions is a great step to take in efforts of learning about another denomination or tradition in the Christian faith. Instead of giving space for assumption or judgment, it is important that we approach situations like these with an open mind ready to learn. Asking questions can ease your doubts, answer your questions, and contribute to clarity. I personally love asking questions to my friends of other denominations to learn why they practice what they practice. The second step is to attempt to attend or participate in a service! This is fun because it gives you a chance to experience what they experience on a Sunday service for example. Certain elements can seem questionable at first but when seen through the culture or the context of that specific service, it can begin to make sense. At least twice or three times a year, my church friends and I will attempt to attend a service of another denomination. This helps us increase our understanding of different traditions and also equips us better for diverse conversations. The third way is to agree on common ground. It may seem tempting to draw differences. But there is way more that denominations agree on rather than disagree on. I think it is important to outline what we consider as foundations and non-negotiables. This will help tie us in together and can show us that we are less different from one another than we think. God Bless.