- Pathfinder

Reply To: Did any of the similarities or differences between Christian and Jewish theology surprise you? If so, which/why?

Dominic Gialdini
Participant

Hi Dylan, I also found the “Why Aren’t We Christians” article to be of interest. Some of the justifications seemed to be misguided insofar as the Jewish individual appeared to interpret Christianity in a manner that I would not say is completely accurate; however, this different understanding of Christianity makes sense when taking into account that the Jewish paradigm is significantly different. One thing to note is that Jewish tradition places emphasis on pleasing God in the present rather than striving for an eternal relationship in Heaven largely because the Old Testament does not talk about Heaven in the first place. I do think that there is something to be said (and admirable) about the Jews following their commandments without expectation of reward, as it helps to make the dynamic of their default relationship with God more altruistic. I am cognizant of the fact that my relationship with God is not always rooted in a spirit of unconditional, giving love, and these reflections cause me to strive to serve God not in order to be admitted into eternal bliss but rather (or also!) because it is right and just.