- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

Dominic Gialdini
Participant

Growing up as a Catholic, supersessionism was never a prevalent topic of conversation. However, I have come to realize that my views were not fully in line with Dr. McDermott’s teachings. Most notably, in late high school or early college, I became interested in New Testament/Old Testament parallels and explored the story of the Passion. I had read and believed somewhere that when Jesus died and the veil in the temple tore, this symbolized the Jewish loss of authority over over the true faith in favor of Christianity. I believe that I understood the New Covenant as a replacement of the Old Covenant, but I never fully considered the implications that this would have on the Jewish people. Of course, I believe in the Church, but I never entertained the thought of whether the Old Covenant was nullified; it was not a question that I had considered. This insight of Dr. McDermott’s goes hand-in-hand with our traditional Good Friday service, which includes prayers for the Jewish people, “to whom God first revealed himself.” The discussion of the meek inheriting the land [of Israel] is surely something that I will reflect on much.