- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

Clay Shackelford
Participant

I don’t think I’ve ever been explicitly told that you must either be pro-Israel or pro-Palestinian; however, I do think that as a country, America tends to think that way. This kind of thinking is divisive and unproductive. This kind of thinking is also encouraged by political figures and growing divisiveness on social media. That to support one side is to be against the other.

I will say that I do think it impossible to agree with the Palestinian complete territorial demand and also agree with the establishment of a Jewish state in those same lands. However, I don’t think this should stop us from supporting both sides to find a good solution.

We cannot ignore either side of this conflict because to do so would leave a large group of people unheard in exile, so we must take time to be peacemakers in a land without peace. We must find a solution where people of different beliefs can live side-by-side.