- Pathfinder

Reply To: Why is it important for Christians to keep the sad history of Christian antisemitism in mind when responding to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the present?

Marina Ghaly
Participant

I’ve always been big on owning the history – the good, bad, and ugly parts of history. Once history is owned, then we can learn from the past so it will not happen again in the future. I remember the first time I heard about Christian antisemitism. I was a university student taking a course on the History of the Jewish People. I was appalled to learn that many famous Christian leaders and influencers were anti-semitic. It was hard for me to believe until we read primary sources. I remember leaving the class shocked, saddened, and frustrated that I never learned about it before. Learning about Christian antisemitism helped me understand the relationship between Christians and Jews better. Furthermore, understanding Christian antisemitism helps Christians understand a bit better about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. This needs to be reminded because many Christians (at least in my experience) view this conflict as Arabs versus Israelis, or Muslims versus Jews, and don’t take into consideration the full history which plays a role in the conflict.