- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

Marina Ghaly
Participant

I was taught two things growing up. First, I was taught that the covenant God had with the Jewish people is still in place today. There is a difference – the gentiles are now welcomed into the covenant of God through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The second idea I was taught was since the Gentiles are welcomed into a covenantal relationship with God because of Jesus, therefore, Gentiles also receive the same blessings as the Jewish people. This course helped me to remember the importance of remembering that Christians should research Church leaders. Martin Luther is a very famous leader but I was never taught about his anti-Semitic writings until I was in college. It is important to understand what influencers believe about God, Jesus, the Bible, and the Jewish people before we are influenced heavily under their teachings. This course also reminded me the important covenants God has with the Jewish people that are still in place today.