- Pathfinder

Reply To: Why is it important for Christians to keep the sad history of Christian antisemitism in mind when responding to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the present?

Connie Hammond
Participant

It is important for Christians to keep the sad history of Christian antisemitism in mind when responding to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the present because many Jewish people are more aware of the history of Christian antisemitism than Christians often are. When I have had the pleasure of interacting with Jewish pro-Israel students and young adults, I have noticed that many of them were informed early on in their lives that Christians have hurt the Jews in history and been some of the leaders in antisemitic acts in some situations. Even if we deny that history as Christians, it still occurred and it still a part of their story and what they learn about Christians. I have met a good amount of Jewish people who have never met a Christian supporter of Israel in their whole life or had an opportunity to have a deep conversation with a Christian. We must remember the wounds that have been inflicted upon the Jewish people in the name of Christianity in the past and show them by our actions that we are different.