- Pathfinder

Reply To: Why is it important for Christians to keep the sad history of Christian antisemitism in mind when responding to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the present?

Dominic Gialdini
Participant

I have never thought about viewing the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in light of Christian antisemitism’s role in the creation of the issue. Previously, I was aware that others blamed things like Western society, colonialism, etc. on the conflict, but I never connected the fact that Christian actions had direct consequences that would play out in the Holy Land. In general, I viewed the conflict as “their” (i.e. Israelis’ and Palestinians’) problem and considered the West altruistic in wanting to solve the conflict. To remind myself of Christian antisemitism’s role in the conflict is to create a sense of responsibility for Christians to play an active role in undoing what they helped to cause. This consideration is a strong reminder that our actions (and inactions) have great influence, and we are all connected in one way or another to conflicts that ostensibly have nothing to do with us. The nature of Christian antisemitism should serve as a motivator for us to create a more perfect future for ourselves and others, including those who live in the Middle East.